Post contains affiliate links.
As a first-time mom, you think, “I need a cute diaper bag.” Some friends will recommend some highfalutin Marc Jacobs or Kate Spade bag. But let me tell you something – that’s stupid. Those fancy bags will run you a crapton of money and you will get butt-hurt when your kid vomits all over it or you have a spill in it. For the most part, I used my old college Jansport backpack because shoulder straps. But, it didn’t look nice at all. It was about 20 years old and I needed more pockets. FUNCTION, people.
The team at Haruhonpo USA asked me if I wanted to try out their diaper bags. I said YES! I chose the Chocolate Sweetheart Big Zipper Backpack and they sent me a matching toddler backpack for review. So I tested it. For MONTHS. …because I didn’t want to write a lazy copy-and-paste review for any new parent looking for a diaper bag.
There are more than five of my favorite features to this backpack but it’s the Friday Five! So come on, read on!
Harunhonpo Diaper Backpack – Five Best Features Featured
5. Secret zip compartments on the back of the backpack! If you’re traveling or even if you’re at the zoo, you might want to keep your wallet from pickpockets. These TWO side zip compartments come in quite handy for a slim wallet or phone!
4. So.many.pockets!!!! There are EIGHT (8) inner pockets in the big zipped compartment. One of them is plastic-lined so you can put your wet stuff in there. Or keep your stuff waterproofed, in case you spill something.
This is what I’ve got stored in each pocket:
- Three diapers (Pampers size 5 and Bambo size 4)
- Travel wipes, disposable changing mat and mini Vaseline
- Change of clothes: shorts, leggings, t-shirt, headband and a pair of socks
- Extra plastic bags (in case of poop issues or wet clothes)
- My small bag filled with Rodan + Fields mini facials to pass out to prospective customers
- I have THREE pockets left empty! I haven’t even told you what I put in the MAIN compartment -> spare fleece zip, lunchbag with snacks, extra diapers (sometimes), my wallet, Spawn’s sun hat, her sunglasses and our Tula baby carrier!
2. Adjustable and detachable chest strap and attached keyfob. If you’re traveling or packing for an overnight trip, you can use the chest strap to help keep the backpack in place.
1. Lightweight AF. I can’t believe how light this backpack is. If you didn’t see, the backpack also comes with two zipper pouches! One of them fits our iPad mini perfectly. The other can be used as a snack bag or pouch for loose items like little toys or socks.
I didn’t even get to the matching toddler backpack!! It is just as lightweight and also has a chest clip. We keep Toddler Spawn’s Hello Kitty or Elmo in there. Sometimes we just put her sunglasses in there so she feels just as important, wearing her backpack.
Bonus points: The bags are made in Japan. The prints are not dyed. So you’re not going to see any kind of dye bleed if the bags get wet. The bags are popular in Asia, and soon, I believe they’ll gain traction in the US. Seriously, why are we still gifting new parents crappy diaper bags?? Get on the awesome bag wagon!
I do have to point out that The Wife thinks my diaper backpack is too big for my 5’3″ frame. But I chose it to be big so we could use it for travel, which we did. We brought it to Mom 2.0 Summit in Laguna Niguel, where The Wife took it straight to the beach and sand. It was so easy to brush off the sand.
We’ve also taken it on day trips where Spawn had her first taste of Freddy’s Frozen Custard & Steakburgers and long days with Grandma and Grandpa.
This is now our go-to diaper backpack. Real men wear hearts.
Thank you to the Harunhonpo USA team for providing a diaper backpack and toddler backpack for review!
Haruhonpo USA has a Facebook Page that you should Like. If you did, you would have seen there was a promo for Mother’s Day! You can also order them via Amazon or directly on their website. There are other styles to choose from, like the traditional bag or a flap-top backpack. If you babywear like I do, I highly recommend the backpack version.
Tell me in the comments – What is your pet peeve with your diaper bag??
Disclosure: Post contains affiliate links. Product was provided for review consideration. The above post is my honest opinion.