BlogHer 2012… what a way to start August with a bang! I ended July with my SMCLA event and went straight to flying out to New York in intense heat and humidity. Like most of you, I’m trying to get back to normal, and it’s pretty tough. Maybe normalcy is not the right word. Perhaps it’s just trying to get stuff done without feeling so overwhelmed because you were gone for a few days.
Ready or not, here is my Friday Five for August 10, 2012 -five things I’ve picked up this week.
- You CAN travel without getting sick when you come back home! In case you don’t know, I get sick EVERY TIME I come back from travel – domestic or international. But this time, I didn’t get sick! I took it relatively easy at BlogHer (ha!), got 5 hours of sleep each night, and started using Halo, a product that debuted at the con. The father-son team was there to talk about this product, and I think it really works, no lie. It’s an oral spray that helps keep airborne germs at bay. I tend to get people breathing on me a lot, in a non-sexual manner. Mouth-breathers. Then, in turn, I breathe in their germs. They get me sick – all the time. I started spraying on Saturday afternoon and kept it up until Monday. Note: I also gargled with hot water and salt when I got home. I keep my bottle in my Macguyver purse now. You never know when you’ll run into mouth-breathers. (Apparently, I run into them all friggin’ day.)
- I headed to the JW Marriott/Ritz-Carlton at LA Live to see my visiting pal who was nerding it up at Siggraph. We had drinks at WP24, dinner at LA Market, and met chef Kerry Simon in the process. That was cool.
- It has become clear to me that I need to take a class or five on Photoshop and Illustrator. At my day job, there is a team of creatives who do the bulk of designing product packages, online assets, and the like. I’ve been able to tweak their assets for my projects but I want to get to a point where I’m not asking for their help all the time. Granted, that is their job and I have my own job, but when they’re slammed, I need to be able to edit or create a draft asset ASAP.
- My reading has suffered this week. Every night, I’m zonked out once I hit the bed. I’m still in the middle of Hammered by Kevin Hearne, book 3 in the series. I’m halfway done and not as engaged as the first two books.
- A personal thing – I got a promotion at work. My review went well, and my promotion went through last month. I now have a “senior” in front of my title at my day job. Like Martha would say, it’s a good thing.