We all know about Pinterest. We all Pin things that inspire us. Have you created something, thanks to the Pins on Pinterest? I know someone who has. Meet Cat, fellow Pinner, photographer, and So Cal blogger.
I don’t know about you, but I gotz no time to paint a TV unit right now nor do I own my home. Cat and her husband recently bought a home, and she’s been getting her new home decorated their way. I asked her if she would share her process in sprucing up a plain TV unit into a fabulous TV unit, and she said yes! (Photos below are courtesy of Cat’s iPhone – yet another vote for smartphones with good cameras. You never know when you’ll need to whip it out.)
Here’s my interview with Cat:
Q: Which Pins inspired you to personalize your furniture?
Q: What made you decide to go DIY?
- When M and I went to Ikea to look for our dining table we decided to browse the media unit, too. Since I painted the walls grey I knew I wanted a white media unit. We saw the Hemnes TV Storage combination and we both liked it. It was a big piece with a lot of white and I remembered seeing photos on Pinterest with painted back panels. Immediately, I knew I wanted to paint the back of the unit. I consider myself somewhat of a DIY-er. Big projects intimidate me, but this one seemed totally doable for me because it seemed more like a semi-DIY project.
Q: How did you pick the background color (yellow)?
- I went with a grey color scheme throughout my house. I wanted something that contrasted the grey, looked fun, but still sophisticated. I was debating between a bright blue or yellow. I got paint swatches from Dunn Edwards, taped them to my wall and took a vote via friends and Instagram. My gut always said yellow, and all of my votes were for yellow so I had no doubts about my choice.
Q: How long did it take you to paint all these parts?
- In total, it took roughly 5-6 hours to finish because I had to wait for the coats to dry. First, I sanded the back panel, then cleaned it off with a damp towel. I applied 1 coat of primer and let it dry for 1 hour. Then, I applied another coat of primer and let it dry for another hour. I painted the first coat of yellow and let it dry for 1 hour. After, I applied 2 more coats of paint with no drying time in between the 2 coats. Lastly, I let it dry for 1 hour, then we secured it to the rest of the unit. I did all 3 panels in the 5-6 hour time frame.
I don’t know about you but the finished product looks pretty badass.
There you have it. 5-6 hours of paint time + assembly time = awesome. I could really use a shelving unit like this for all of my books. (Or if the Wife have it his way – all his DVDs and blu-rays.)