BlogHer 2011 was one of the biggest conferences I’ve been to. It also hosted bloggers who designed some of the most creative and unique business cards I’d ever seen (and brought home).
Let’s say you’re not going to BlogHer 2012 but you’re designing new business cards, be mindful of the paper you choose for your cards. Not all pens can write on your surface. But hey, if you’re going glossy, go glossy. And if you ARE attending a con, be aware that your pen may not work well with your new contact’s biz card.
I’m a freak, and I like to write on people’s business cards. I like to write notes to myself – what our conversation was about, how I met you (what session?), where you’re from, possible partnership ideas, etc. Depending on what’s on your business card, I’ll even jot down a short description of you – brown hair, red dress, purple totebag. Anything to remind me of you (in addition to going to your blog).
My recommendation to make it easy on yourself? Bring fine-tip Sharpie pens with you.
Lucky for us, it’s back to school sale time so these pens are probably on sale!
- Target’s got them in stores: http://www.target.com/p/sharpie-ultra-fine-tip-permanent-markers-10ct/-/A-14132277
- CVS has a different package but same pens: http://www.cvs.com/shop/product-detail/Sharpie-Permanent-Marker-Ultra-Fine-Point-Assorted-Colors?skuId=318538
- Walgreens has the assorted colors pack: http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/sharpie-permanent-markers-ultra-fine-point/ID=prod1442703-product
- Walmart has the 5-pack of black pens: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sharpie-Ultra-Fine-Point-Permanent-Markers-Black-Set-of-5/14906336
- Office Depot has got them: http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/270776/Sharpie-Permanent-Ultra-Fine-Point-Markers/
If you forget your Sharpie, don’t fret. There are a gazillion places in New York City to pick one up. Better still, if the Newell Rubbermaid (owners of Sharpie) people are exhibiting at BlogHer, you’ll be able to grab one from them!
See you at BlogHer!
EDIT: If you’re afraid of ink exploding because you’ll be traveling, put them in a Ziploc and away from your clothes. Otherwise, pick them up when you get into the city!