Did you know October is National Women’s Small Business Month? In 2012, there were 9.9 MILLION women-owned businesses in the United States. You know it’s only gone up since then. YES. 10MM strong!
- California ranked #1 in number of women-owned businesses with 1.3 million firms. Louisiana witness the highest percentage of growth of WBOs at 47%!
- As of 2012, there were almost 755,000 Asian American woman-owned businesses, generating $163.5 BILLION dollars in receipts!
- California leads again with the highest number of WBOs.
- Let’s talk veterans. As of 2012, there were 384,000 veteran woman-owned businesses, generating $19 BILLION in receipts!
Want more factoids? Click here to the National Women’s Business Council’s stats.
If you didn’t know, I also own a small business – my digital marketing consultancy. I didn’t generate billions of dollars in receipts but I can say I contributed to that bottom line. But enough about me.
If you’re inspired to create your own business or product, here are a list of useful resources and organizations to start with!
- NAWBO (NAWBO-LA) – National Association of Women Business Owners.
- SBA – Small Business Association – start here and click on everything!
- AWBC – Association of Women’s Business Centers
- ABWA – American Business Women’s Association
- Your local or regional chamber of commerce – LA Area Chamber of Commerce
- Small Business Development Center (SBDC) – LA SBDC
- SCORE – Find local events near you and find a chapter near you.
Are you a woman-owned business? What other resources would you include here?