Are you a fan of Disneyland? What about hospitals that provide medical help to children in need? Well, hot damn, guess what’s happening on October 30? The CHOC Walk at Disneyland! I’ve been invited to join the event as a CHOC Walker, and boy am I excited!
This 5K walk is CHOC Children’s largest fundraiser of the year, and the single largest and most unique pediatric walk in the US! CHOC Walk participants have the opportunity to enjoy a 5K walk through Disneyland Park, Disney California Adventure Park and the Downtown Disney District before they open the parks to the public. (I ran the Disneyland Half Marathon and the WDW Princess Half Marathon years ago and lemme tell ya, it’s so fun to see the park before it opens! Also, it’s a 5K – so it’s only 3 miles! Easy peasy!!)
If you wanted to do some fundraising and get some exercise in, CHOC Walk is it!
Five Reasons You Should CHOC Walk
5. Proceeds benefit CHOC Children’s in Orange County. It is a now comprised of two hospitals and more than 30 specialty clinics and programs, and four renowned centers of excellence – the CHOC Children’s Heart, Neuroscience Orthopaedic, and Hyundai Cancer Institutes. In addition, CHOC Orange offers the only pediatric emergency department in the region, and it is now operating a Level II Pediatric Trauma Center.
I know this sounds like gibberish to the layperson but the main point is: CHOC is basically one of the few places where you can bring your kid and know you will have superb care and the care is focused on children and their needs.
My friend’s twin nieces were patients at CHOC Children’s. I’m sure you know someone whose kid(s) has been a patient at a children’s hospital. Scarily enough, an old colleague also brought her infant son to a children’s hospital for emergency heart surgery recently. He was 7 months at the time.
4. Teaching opportunity while keeping active! Raising money for CHOC Children’s provides families the opportunity to teach their children about the importance of helping others—even kids—in their community. It can be particularly powerful for children to learn that their fundraising can help their peers. Last year’s Walk raised over $2.5 MILLION dollars!
For some people, a 5K is a helluva walk. It is long. For others, it may be a piece of cake. In any case, not only can you participate with your families, you’re setting the example of healthy activity.
3. Disney Perks. As a participant, you’ll get a unique look at the Disneyland Resort through the Walk experience, purchase reduced-rate group ticket admission for the parks (w00!!) as part of the perks of participating in the CHOC Walk and enjoy special discounts in the Downtown Disney District on the day of the walk.
Just like the Run Disney events, you’ll be able to walk through the “backstage” area of Disneyland! (Backstage is code for the areas not open to the public.)
You can get 1-day Park Hopper tickets for $83, max of 5 per wristband! Note: There are restrictions so read the fine print! I am totally picking up a couple of tickets for my family. (Regular 1-day Park Hoppers are about $105/each, so yo, I’m all for a discount!)
2. But wait, more perks as a fundraiser! By raising money for the CHOC Walk, walkers can earn prizes, including free Disneyland Resort tickets! Participants who raise between $375 and $599 earn one 1-Day Disneyland Resort Park Hopper Ticket. Participants who raise $600 or more earn two 1-Day Disneyland Resort Park Hopper Tickets.
It’s win-win! You help CHOC Children’s serve more patients, and you get a Disneyland ticket!
There are team incentives as well as individual incentives, like the Park Hopper tickets, private party for 50 (!) at Ruby’s Diner on Huntington Beach Pier, a Paso Robles weekend getaway, and even an Anaheim Ducks Fan Experience! Learn all about the prizes and details!
1. Ambassadors Luau! If you’re participating in the Walk, you have an opportunity to join the fun the day before in the special 2016 Ambassadors Luau! Grub on delicious luau-inspired dinner; special photo opps with Disney characters; tattoos by Kaman’s Art Shoppe; Ambassadors’ silent auction; authentic Polynesian entertainment with special appearances by Tupua Productions, Loa Greyson, Jerome Grey, Halau Hula Lani Ola and “Auntie” and an exciting finale featuring world-famous Polynesian fire dancers!
Basically you’re carbo-loading before your 5K. LOL! Get your tickets here.
1b. It’s MF Disneyland.
Just do it. Yes, it’s super early. But think of it as having extra time spent at the Park(s) once you’re done! DETAILS:
- CHOC Walk in the Park – Sunday, October 30, 2016, 6:30am at the Disneyland Resort
- Opening Ceremony: 6:15am Main Street U.S.A.
- Entrance cutoff time: 8:00am
- Walk distance: 5k
- Minimum entrance donation – $85 (ages 3 and older)
- Walkers ages 2 and under FREE
- Personal strollers and wheelchairs are allowed (No rentals available that morning)
- Animals (except service dogs), roller skates, bicycles, scooters, and skateboards are not allowed
Will I see you bright and early on Sunday, October 30?
(Follow me and the rest of the CHOC Walkers on social with the hashtag #chocwalk.)